The Athens Historic Newspapers Archive is presented on the Web using the DjVu image format. As a result, users are required to install the DjVu browser plug-in on their computers to use the site. The plug-in is free, and versions are available for most browsers and operating systems.
Windows users: Normal install (all browsers)
Mac users: Plug-ins for Mac OS X and Mac OS X - Intel
Linux or UNIX: Download DjVu Libre
Note: The djvu plug-in will require users to close all djvu applications (including this site) before beginning installation. Users will also be required to restart their browser to complete the installation process. The djvu plug-in may not work with the Safari browser. Users might consider another web browser to utilize this feature.
DjVu Tool Bar
The DjVu tool bar appears above each newspaper page image. The tool bar provides zooming and printing, among other features.
To print a newspaper page, click the printer icon on the DjVu tool bar (not your browser's printing icon).
use the following form for citation:
[article title], [newspaper title], [issue date], p.[page number]. Presented online by the Digital Library of Georgia.
- All (default): All search terms occur in each page.
- Any (check box): Any or all of the search terms occur in each page.
- Without the words: Finds results that exclude the specified words.
- Proximity: Search terms occur within the specified number of words of each other.
- Truncation: Broaden your search by using an asterisk (*) or question mark (?): e.g. diplom* will find diploma, diplomatic; wom?n will find woman and women.
- Exact phrase: Double-quotes ("") should be used to specify an exact search: e.g. "opera house."